Information for property owners

Some Let's Get Wellington Moving projects may have an effect on properties nearby. Find out what that could mean for property owners.

We acknowledge that announcements about our programme can create uncertainty for people who own property or live or work near the proposed projects.

Investigation, evaluation and early design work is underway on a number of our projects. This work will involve further consultation with the community and with people who may be directly affected. It will be some time before we know which individual properties will be affected, and what those effects might be. However, here is some information about the process and answers to common questions. 

When will I know which properties may be affected?

Investigation, evaluation and early design work is underway on a number of Let's Get Wellington Moving projects, but we are not yet able to confirm which properties may be affected.

When this work is complete, we will begin to understand potential effects on properties.

Before we can start constructing any project that requires property, Let's Get Wellington Moving will need to apply for and secure resource consents, and have land designated for the construction and operation of each project. At the consent and designation stage for each project, we will know which properties need to be acquired. At that stage of the work, we will contact people who own potentially affected property.

What happens if a property is needed for a Let’s Get Wellington Moving project?

At the moment no properties are required for Let's Get Wellington Moving.

We will be in touch with potentially affected property owners when we have developed proposals. In the meantime, please get in touch with us if you have any concerns or questions.

Where a government or local government organisation (such as the Let's Get Wellington Moving partners) requires property for a public work (such as a transport project), a Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) accredited supplier is engaged to carry out discussions and negotiations with property owners on the organisation’s behalf.

If a property, or part of a property, is required, the organisation responsible for the project will pay compensation to the landowner based on the market value of the property. Market value is not the personal value to the property owner or the value to the project. It is based on an assessment of the market value by an independent registered valuer.

In addition to the market value of a property, reasonable legal and valuation fees and moving costs can be reimbursed, once these are approved by LINZ.

A property owner may also be eligible for additional compensation of up to $50,000 if the property being acquired includes their home (a dwelling that is their principal place of residence). If a property owner has a business located on their land, they may claim compensation for certain types of business loss resulting from the relocation of the business.

In New Zealand, the Public Works Act 1981 defines the process we will need to follow and entitles affected property owners to compensation. LINZ administers this Act.

Let's Get Wellington Moving has been going for a while. When will I know more?

Our programme began in 2016 with the plan to develop a package of ideas to solve transport problems facing Wellington city and our region, now and into the future.

Since then, the programme has done more detailed investigations of all the elements of that package and how they work together to meet our objectives. This stage of investigation, evaluation and consultation takes a few years as part of a business case process that leads to decisions to develop more detailed proposals. The measures proposed are not quick fixes but major investments in our transport system.

You can expect to see the proposed ideas, give your feedback and be involved in the process well before any proposals are confirmed and the works can start – particularly if you live in a community that could be most affected.

While we have been investigating the wider programme, we have made a start to help change how people move into and around the city with our Three-year programme. Projects in the Three-year programme do not require properties.

I’m a concerned property owner, who can I talk to?

We know that news about our projects may create uncertainty for people who own property or live or work near proposed projects.

If this uncertainty is affecting you, please get in touch with us:

Sign up for updates

If you would like to keep up to date on our progress, please sign up for email updates.

Whether you sign up for updates or not, we will get in touch with affected property owners when we have information to share.

Back to top